Tuesday, April 26, 2022

They Call Me Coach


I just came to a terrifying realization.


I am the decisive element for my team.


My approach to EVERYTHING creates the climate.


My daily mood and interactions make the weather.


As a coach, I have the power to make or break my athletes.


As a coach, I have the power to make an athlete’s life miserable or full of joy.


As a coach, I can be a tool of torture and pain or a source of inspiration and encouragement.


I can hurt or help, humiliate or humor, harm or heal.


In everything, every day, it is my response that decides whether a conflict or crisis will escalate out of control or de-escalate.


And in everything I do, every day, I impact how my athletes believe in themselves or doubt themselves. I impact whether they live and play with peace and confidence or live and play with anxiety and fear.


...


You can substitute teacher for coach, students for athletes, and classroom for team. But you can't substitute any thing for the impact that a leader, a coach, or a teacher has on their athletes and students. We have the ability to make or break the people we lead. Don't take that responsibility lightly. Think about that responsibility with every interaction that you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment