Teamwork Tuesdays: Ron Clark — Who’s Moving the Bus?


When I moved into my first leadership role, the most eye-opening thing that I learned was how few people were willing to do what I was willing to do as an individual performer. I thought everyone tried to go above and beyond as fast as they could like I tried to, but I was wrong.
In his book, Move Your Bus, Ron Clark uses a simple metaphor to describe the different ways people show up on a team: Runners, Joggers, Walkers, Riders, and Drivers.

  • Runners are your all-stars who consistently go above and beyond without waiting to be told what needs to be done — they see it, act, and go above and beyond.

  • Joggers are dependable. The do their jobs well without pushing themselves too hard.

  • Walkers get pulled along and need more direction, encouragement, or accountability to increase their impact.

  • Riders hold the team back because they pick up their feet and slow down the whole process.

  • And then there are Drivers — the MVPs responsible for steering the bus. They create the vision, set the direction, and help everyone understand where the team is going.

Every team needs Drivers, but great teams also need Runners and Joggers to help push the team forward, and the Walkers need to at least walk in the right direction.

As a team member, you don’t have to be the Driver to make a difference. Just make sure you’re bringing value to the team.

As a leader or coach, look at your team. Who is who, and how can you put the right people in the right seats?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's My Fault

Mindset Mondays: Bill Beswick — Defining Sports Psychology

Mia Hamm and Coach Dorrance - The Vision of a Champion