Monday, December 13, 2021

Driven From Within


In his book, Driven From Within, Michael Jordan wrote, "I look at these kids today, and they don't know how to trick themselves. They don't even understand the need to find a way to get yourself ready to play at the highest level every night."

Michael Jordan was the ultimate competitor, and I am always interested in how the best motivate themselves and keep themselves motivated.

I WOULD WAKE UP IN THE MORNING THINKING, "OK, HOW AM I GOING TO ATTACK TODAY?"

Michael Jordan wrote, "It was so easy for me to find ways to motivate myself. My driving force, my passion, was to impress people with what I could do. They got me through those dog days. The most important thing I learned from my father was the passion to prove what I was capable of doing. It was just that simple. I thought about that person who had never experienced the excitement or entertainment I could provide."

WHEN I DID GET ATTENTION, I WANTED TO SHOW PEOPLE THAT I DESERVED IT.

This quote reminded me of a story that former NBA star Allan Houston shared at a basketball camp years ago. He said, "You never know who is watching you. I grew up working out at a basketball court at a park by my house. I never thought anybody was watching me, but after a big game in high school, an older man came to me and said that he has been watching me work out on the basketball court for years, and I was an inspiration to him because of how hard I worked."

It can be dangerous to place your worth, value, and motivation in trying to impress other people because you can't control what impresses other people. But every time you play, it is an opportunity to prove to yourself and others what you can do. Allow that to motivate you and drive you to create a disciplined life so that when it is time to play, you are ready to perform at your best.

Michael Jordan wasn't a child icon. He came from a small town, and he said that nobody knew who he was. Many people around him and around the country were getting well-publicized, but not him. Once he did start getting recognition, there were people who thought he was too good to be true, so he was always being challenged.

Michael wrote, "I didn't get tarnished by national attention or success at a young age. I didn't experience the spoils. I always felt like I had to prove myself, one way or another. I never felt like it was enough to be noticed. That approach carried me through my entire career. That was my strength. I never lost the desire to work hard, set goals, and achieve. That never went away from me."

Stay ready so that you don't have to get ready. Don't look up one day shocked and surprised by your competition or the moment. Stay as ready as possible for your moment through the work that you do every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment