Mindset Mondays: Gabrielle Oettingen — WOOP Framework (Wish, Outcome, Obstacle, Plan)
We all have things we want to accomplish. But wanting something isn’t always enough.
Psychologist Dr. Gabrielle Oettingen developed a simple framework called WOOP to help turn goals into action:
Wish. Outcome. Obstacle. Plan.
Start with your Wish. What do you want?
Then picture the Outcome. If you accomplish it, what will that look or feel like?
Next comes the important part: identify the Obstacle. What is most likely to get in your way? Lack of time? Fear? Distractions? Fatigue? Doubt?
Finally, make a Plan.
Instead of simply saying, “I’m going to work harder,” get specific:
“If this obstacle happens, then I will…”
That simple if-then plan helps you prepare for the moment when things don’t go according to plan.
Because obstacles aren’t a surprise. They are part of the journey.
So this Monday, take five minutes and WOOP one goal:
What do I Wish for?
What is the Outcome I want?
What Obstacle could get in my way?
What is my Plan when it does?
Don’t just dream about where you want to go. Prepare for what might get in your way.
Comments
Post a Comment