Teamwork Tuesdays: David Marquet — Turn the Ship Around!


Intent-Based Leadership

One of the most important lessons from David Marquet’s Turn the Ship Around! is that great teams don’t need more people giving orders — they need more people taking ownership.

Marquet took command of the USS Santa Fe, a struggling nuclear submarine, and recognized that the traditional leader-follower model was limiting his team. Instead of being the person with all the answers, he worked to create a culture where people were expected to think, communicate, and take responsibility.

That meant changing the language.

Instead of asking for permission by saying, “Can I…?”, sailors were encouraged to say, “I intend to…” The difference seems small, but the message is powerful: I have thought this through, I understand my responsibility, and I am prepared to act.

This is what intent-based leadership is all about.

In a healthy culture, people shouldn't have to wait for the person at the top to make every decision. Leaders create clarity around the mission, values, and standards — and then empower people to make decisions within those boundaries.

The goal isn't to eliminate leadership. It is to multiply leadership.

The best teams aren't built around one person who has all the answers. They're built around people who have been trusted, developed, and empowered to bring their best to the team.

Give people clarity. Give people ownership. Then let them lead.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe It's My Fault

Mindset Mondays: Bill Beswick — Defining Sports Psychology

Mia Hamm and Coach Dorrance - The Vision of a Champion